Friday, December 22, 2006

The Simple Life

Yes more about the lack of TV in our lives. A friend of mine commeted on the last post as to the where abouts of our television. We are starting a voyage into "simplicity". Barn and I haven't been real fans of the marketing to our kids on the television (and truth be told the marketing to us either). So we decided to "unplug" the marketing. We use barn's monitor as a screen to watch DVD's and such but thats it. We will still netflix and watch some of our favorite shows and get movies for the kids.

I am reading a book called "Living Simply With Children". Its a good read but hard. I can see how I have been sold to get things that I really don't need. It's also hard to kinda go against the "flow" of typical American life too. I'm not real good at that, heres hoping I get better! ;)

There are many "layers" to simplifying or downshifting as it has been called. Some people take it as far as not buying anything new except for food and toiletries and not using cell phones and internet and such. I don't think we will go that far. So for the past few days we have been playing board games and reading. Its been fun. But I do realize how much I miss my friend the TV. He was company. But the silence is nice too.

I will keep you updated on how it all goes!

Here are some links if you are in the mood to check it out more. Oh and yeah some of it is kinda out there but we are going to do like we do with water mellon. Eat the good stuff and spit out the seeds.

www.simpleliving.net

www.newdream.org

living simply with children (the book I'm reading)

1 comment:

Team Davis said...

Good for you guys! I think I'll check that book out. Scott and I always complain about the tv and all the stuff kids get or think they need.